The Blue Tailed Whistler is a good project if you are comfortable with general embroidery stitches and have a little experience with Raised Embroidery.
I love birds and find endless inspiration in their colourful and decorative plumage and my Blue Tailed Whistler is completely imaginative. The dimensional bird is cheerfully perched in a small snow berry tree in this small Raised Embroidery panel.
The embroidery is stitched with stranded silk threads onto a ground of pale blue-grey silk fabric. The body of the bird is embroidered as a separate piece, or slip, before being stitched in place over layers of felt padding. The wing is also created separately before being partly attached to it is raised over the body. Needle lace is used to create the tail feathers and wired leaves add a final touch to the tree the bird is sitting in.
The detailed instructions and diagrams will help guide you step by step through the project.
I hope you will get as much pleasure embroidering your Blue Tailed Whistler as I did.
Happy Stitching, Anna
IN THIS KIT YOU WILL FIND:
* INSTRUCTION BOOKLET with detailed, step-by-step instructions and diagrams
* Full size patterns & templates for the detached elements
* Pale blue-grey silk dupion with the embroidery design marked, ready to stitch
* Quilter’s muslin backing fabric
* 2 pieces of cotton homespun
* Cotton voile
* Wool felt
* 2 shaded stranded silks
* 16 stranded silks
* Perlé cotton
* Glass seed beads
* 5 needles
* Beading wire
* Adhesive plastic film & Card for the needle lace
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
* 20cm (8″) embroidery hoop (both rings bound)
* 10cm (4″) embroidery hoop (inner ring bound)
* Weight or small clamp. – This is to hold your hoop or frame allowing you both hands free
* Light coloured sewing thread
* Small pliers (or old scissor for cutting fine wire)
* Sharp HB lead pencil (a mechanical pencil it perfect)
* Baking (or tracing) paper
Recommended, but not essential:
* Tweezers (or flat nosed pliers) for shaping wire
Stitches Used: blanket stitch | blanket stitch wheel | bullion knot | burden stitch | chain stitch | corded detached blanket stitch | cordonnet |couching | detached blanket stitch | fly stitch | long & short stitch |overcast stitch | raised stem stitch | satin stitch | split stitch | stem stitch | straight stitch | whipping
We will send you an email from time to time with News & Updates.
Subscribe for updates on free resources, news on upcoming classes, and discounts.